Tuesday, October 19, 2010

NYC Party Reflections

When I think about it,I feel like an oyster today.Our vessel is my shell. After 2 of the first consecutive days of rain,I woke this morning to a still clear welcome from sky and sea. I took out my light available kayak and set off to explore and enjoy a new dimension,like tentacle from the main ship,still feeling connected but adventurous and free. That's what it's all about,isn't it?
To go back to the last entry, I do apologies for the gaps,when I tried to edit it wouldn't let me scroll down...
I needed to make it clear that after our dinner Wednesday in the city,we moved on Thursday from the anchorage to a slip at the docks at the boat basin. Anne OHagan came through the park from her brothers home to visit.It was fun as we had come to the boat basin together on Jasmine,Don Hills sailboat many many years before.We reminisced . we took a walk .
Friday morning Jeremy arrived by car with Dave and Nick .Ahhh the youth! No rest and what a welcome wind of energy they brought to our slightly complacent crew. They ate bagels they left with Joey and Olivia. David and I left had a good down-home tete a tete at the cafe on the pier . Friday night we dispersed and mum and Dad took David and I out to a show with dinner.We saw Memphis,very good,we all enjoyed it. Jem and boys,Bro Joe included, went to a Canadian Tuxedo Party which is denium - torture as it was insanely hot and humid,it turns out Jeremy who is in constant coincidence mode,realizes the hostess is Sarah Dobson"Sarah D" as he called her in sr K at Brown school and another
friend ,Ahsley- who he was going to look up in the city at some point was there too.


Saturday morning we took off in pods to meet Kristys group at a restaurant with waiters/
who preform between trays of eggs benedict and banana smoothies(olives order). It was Grama
Sues birthday and apparently she arrived bright and early solo!! Dad was nursing a bad cold,poor birthday girl,had to borrow the waiters phone,as he pirouetted around ,no one answered their phones. we arrived after she had fled.We went to fetch her, brought her back,and began a proper celebration. again,we split,David and Joey off on bikes,to Soho.Philippa and Olivia,subway somewhere.I took off running back to the boat to meet Jenny .The girls had arrived by subway,and the three decided to chill in Central Park.
so what? Call bro Joe! we met down at the 76 Crosby St Hotel in Soho.He bought me a glass of Champagne.We had such a nice visit
Time to subway back! we had a party to attend. It was so very awfully hot and humid
Got back,running late,had a shower at boat basins tiny bathroom and when I got to Rhythm,many of our lovely guests were already there! I snuck down to my cramped little dressing room to rapidly,nervously choose and suit-up. Peggy Gertner came down to help and then Jenny took a turn.
I was soon surrounded by the comfort of family and friends who had made the effort to be just where they were. It was really fun being docked at the boat basin,it felt like a really eccentric,NY vibed,place and with the sultry humid heat of an Indian summers day still in the atmosphere,it was an altered state of serenity,perfect vessel to hold the love energy . It was later,after our cocktails and our time up at Columbus avenue,when we came back to the boat that I felt the 'sweet spot.In the morning I realized,watching Jeremy,Charles ands friends,that I did miss that yummy slowed, wound -down après 'hug and tell me you love me' time with my best beloved friends.
I noticed champagne in the fridge and plastic flute glasses,mmmm, a toast to come? I helped myself to a beer.
My parents,our 4 kids,my brother,Margaret and Stephen,Aunt Bon.Vic,Kris and Brian
,Sydney,Jeremys friends;,Charles and girlfriend and their NYC friends ,Nick and Dave,Lorne
Gertner, Al ,Peggy and Emily, Jenny Armour.It was just right.
We migrated in clusters to "Prohibition" It too was just right. They had a red room in the back that was ours to play in.We had a pool table a bar and a waitress who kept us satiated. still no bubble toasts...oh well ,I asked the bar tender for a beer. David initiated a group hug and speeches. Jeremy was precious speaking of his total endorsement of our journey afloat but how strange it was to be home in Toronto after being away for a few years and Noe not to have HOME and all the inhabitants within.It was very sweet.

1 comment: