Friday, December 24, 2010

Slipped out of the midnight service...

Merry Christmas to all my great buddies and darling friends and precious family.
We arrived here in Bequia about three days ago.We sailed from The BVIs ,with Philippa for 48 hours and anchored in a beautiful harbor in Dominica for an overnight rest. Apparently we missed he lunar eclipse that night!OH brother and Ive even got the moon phase app on my ipad.
We did,however get this long begged for treat of spotting a whale the next morning and later that day,just before the sun set,we had the best play with a big pod of Dolphins. I tried so hard to invite them  telepathically many times before,finally they came.We have footage,in a chip,a chip that is too full to hold anymore and a computer that is also to engorged to accept it,I guess I have to trudge to the shop in town and get a disc made. Anyway,it was a thrill to lie up on the trampoline of the bow with the beautiful swimming mammals so close and so cute! It made me miss Sister and Charlotte.
We sailed into LowerBay around 7am.We started hopping and waving and shouting to a familiar house up on the hill,the house our friends Rose and Melanie and Tom stay in. Wed planned a reunion a year ago . We had come and stayed at a place called Keegans and met this adorable family and said,next year we'll be back but this time it will be on a boat. How far fetched is that? Finally,the kids swam over,walked up and left a note. Eventually we were greeted by the three swimming up to give us  blessed wet hugs. It is that moment when I realized the strange intangible nature of time, a year seems brief at that moment. Look again and examine what has happened in just a year and it is baffling.
The really great thing that is like a holiday within the "holiday"that really isnt a holiday....is, that we booked Keegans again so that the kids and Jay are staying on the dry, a sailing term I just made up,and David and I are on the boat. It is so beautiful,just  in the harbor and being out here with the sea and very warm wind,but ill tell you,the swell! Im slightly seasick just writing  and Im deliriously tired as I never seem to catch up with sleep.Last night David and I had a night to cook for ourselves,lobster,and the swell was massive,it was like the boss rollers we had at the end of our passage down from Virginia,which,I haven't properly described here on blog yet I do realize.
But,seriously,the swell was so big that David had to get up a thousand times last night to check the anchor.We do have an alarm on the GPS which did buzz a bit.In the morning it was evident that we did indeed move. The boats around us,many from Europe sailed with the Arc,(a rally much like The caribbean 1500) are monohulls and the light on top of each mast swung like a metronome.Today we wrapped the few presents,went for a good swim,David took dingy to town to shop and kids went on an adventurous trek to find the surf via a long walk down to the beach and a stop at the  turtle sanctuary with Melanie and Rose. I was finally about to launch into my blog when David arrived back exclaiming GOTTA GO...we had to shlep all dinner makings and breakfast fixings and presents into dingy,to town to dock and take a taxi back to Keegans all because of the large surf and impossibility of a safe and dry landing on the beach. The beach is but a swim away. We enjoyed gobs more lobster for dinner with brownies and custard for dessert with Tom Melanie Rose and thats when David Philippa and I walked back to town to hit the midnight church service in town and I was so exhausted and so hot we just had to bail early!Im sad we missed the carols . It was bizarre how the "heathen" bass club music was blaring its seductive energy next door and the church sadly lacking the vivacious vibe it surly should have at Christmas !!.What a contrast. Luckily the devil didn't draw me into dance as I was determined to write this and send alot of my missing you - love and to say, Christmas wishes good friends

Merry Christmas
I am really missing Jeremy this year,sad that Philippa has to leave early Dec 26 and happy to anticipate Mum and Dads visite very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment